Secure Your Crypto Assets
More and more, we read about hacked accounts, exchanges that go bust or simply make it impossible to send out your coins.
The best way to protect your crypto assets is by using a Hardware Wallet. We prefer the Ledger Nano S.
We use the Ledger Nano S to store and safeguard our long term crypto assets (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dash, Litecoin, Zcash and several tokens).
Hardware wallets are probably the most robust form of security you can have for your Bitcoins or any other cryptocurrency. They allow you to send and receive Cryptocurrencies on any computer and they store your private keys in its offline, secure environment.
Bitcoins and private keys stored on an online computer are easy target for hackers.
When you use a hardware wallet, which stores your bitcoins offline, then your coins are stored offline and out of reach from hackers.
Ledger Nano S
The Ledger Nano S is a Bitcoin, Ethereum and Altcoins hardware wallet, based on robust safety features for storing cryptographic assets and securing digital payments. It connects to any computer (USB) and embeds a secure OLED display to double-check and confirm each transaction with a single tap on its side buttons.
Order Your Ledger Nano S Today!
Latest generation hardware
When you own cryptocurrencies, you need to protect your confidential data and the access to your funds. With Ledger Nano S, secrets like private keys are never exposed: sensitive operations are isolated inside your hardware wallet within a state-of-the-art Secure Element, locked by a PIN code. Transactions can’t get tampered with, they are physically verified on the embedded screen with a simple press of a button.
Pay and Authenticate
Ledger Nano S includes Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and Ethereum Classic companion apps, and other blockchain-based cryptocurrencies. You can send and receive payments, check your accounts and manage multiple addresses for each currency from the same device. Nano S also supports the FIDO® Universal Second Factor standard that simplifies the authentication process on compatible online services such as GMail, Dashlane, Dropbox or GitHub.
How To Start?
The Nano S includes an OLED screen, 2 buttons, and it is provided with a micro USB / USB cable to be plugged on the USB 2 port of your computer (not USB 3). If your computer only has USB C ports, you can use an On-The-Go adapter.
The 2 buttons will be used to navigate:
- scroll up and down in the dashboard and menus by pressing right or left button,
- select and validate by pressing both buttons simultaneously
As you can see, there is not any power button: you simply need to connect your Nano S to turn it on, and to disconnect the cable to turn it off, with no prior step.
Prior To Starting
You need 2 things to make your Nano S work:
- a connected computer running Chrome browser, where you will install and run your wallets to manage your accounts, send and receive payments.
- your Nano S with its USB cable to log in your Chrome applications and authenticate your transactions.
The initialization doesn’t need to be done online.
- Connect your Nano S on a wall socket or a computer
- Press both buttons as stated
- Then you can chose if you want
- to configure a new device, with an original seed,
- or if you want to restore a configuration
- If you want to create a new seed, select “Configure as new device” by clicking on the right button (above the check icon)
If you want to import a seed you already have, click on the left button (above the cross), you will be prompted to restore a configuration instead of creating a new one
- Choose a PIN code. Depending on which firmware you have, the number of digits can vary:
- If you run 1.1 or 1.2 firmware you can select 4 digits (like the example in our video)
- If you run 1.3 and more, you can select 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 digits.
- As long as the next step (24 words backup) is not validated, this PIN code isn’t validated.
24 Words Backup
- The 24 words of your seed will now be displayed, one by one. This step is paramount as this seed is the ownership and the backup of your wallet and funds. Be really careful to read and write each one correctly: if you make even one single mistake on a character, your seed would be false and you could not be able to recover your funds in case of need.
- Take the Recovery sheet provided in your box
- On this Recovery sheet, write down Word #1, and check it twice or three times
- Write down Word #2, and check it twice or three times, and be careful to note it in second position
- Write down Word #3, and check it twice or three times, and be careful to note it in third position
- and so on for each word until the #24 oneYes, this step is long and needs a full concentration, but it is absolutely required. Note that the 24 words seed is:
- what makes you your own bank, as you are the only one to know this secret
- what makes you the owner of your coins
- the only way to recover your funds if you lose your Nano S
- shown only once, during this initialization step. it won’t be displayed anymore, in any way
- Once the full list of 24 words have been written down, validate as required
- Verify the displayed words by selecting the right ones that match with the ones you copied
- When your Nano S displays “Your device is now ready”, your Nano S is configured.
Install Your Applications
To open and manage a Coin wallet, you need to :
- launch the wallet application on your computer,
- open the dedicated companion application on your Nano S to unlock and synchronize the wallet
So for each wallet you need 2 applications: 1 on your computer, 1 on your Nano S
Applications On Your Nano S
Your Nano S is a multi-application device, so you can install and uninstall several applications on it, like Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP a.k.a Ripple, and many other ones (altcoins, authentication, etc.), some of them provided by Ledger, some of them by other companies.
By default, your Nano S has some applications already installed:
- and FIDO U2F
They can be removed, replaced, and you can add new applications thanks to the the Ledger Manager, which is like a free app store to download and delete your applications.
Note that your Nano S can hold about 5 applications at the same time, but you can deal with many more applications – as many as stated on the Ledger Manager – by removing and installing the ones you need to manage. Removing an application won’t make you lose your coins: you will be able to see your balance and transact as soon as the coin application has been installed again.
- Install the Ledger Manager on your computer:
- In your Chrome browser, go to this page
- Click on “Add to Chrome”
- Launch the Ledger Manager
See: how to launch the application once it is installed
- Remove the applications you don’t want by clicking on the bin, install the ones you need by clicking on the green arrow
See: how to use the Ledger Manager
Ledger Applications on Your Computer
Ledger provides 3 different Ledger Wallet applications to download. To use these wallets, the companion application on your Nano S must have the “browser support” option set on NO.
- Ledger Wallet Bitcoin
Follow the guide to install and use it: How to install and use the Bitcoin Chrome application
- Bitcoin Cash
- Ledger Wallet Ethereum
Follow the guide to install and use it: How to install and use Ethereum and Ethereum Classic
- Ethereum (single account)
- Ethereum Classic (single account)
- Ledger Wallet XRP
Follow the guide to install and use it: How to install and use XRP a.k.a Ripple
- XRP a.k.a Ripple
How Can I Use My Nano S On My Computer?
First, you must initialize your Nano S following this tutorial
Once it is initialized, you need to download:
- the Ledger Manager: go to this page in your Chrome browser, and click on “Available on Chrome” to download and install it.
- the Ledger Bitcoin Chrome app: go to this page in your Chrome browser, and click on “Available on Chrome” to download and install it.
- and / or the Ledger Ethereum Chrome app: go to this page in your Chrome browser, and click on “Available on Chrome” to download and install it. app
Once the Bitcoin or Ethereum (or any one) Chrome app is installed:
- Connect your Nano S on a USB port of your computer and enter your PIN code
- Launch your Bitcoin or Ethereum Chrome application
- Open your Bitcoin or Ethereum app on your Nano S
- Check that the browser support of this application is set on NO.
- Then you can see your account and manage your coins
To send your first bitcoins on your Nano S, follow this tutorial
If you want to manage other coins or applications with your Nano S, you can manage your applications through the Ledger manager. See here how to use it.